Miso Zoodle Soup with Buna Shimeji Mushrooms

by - April 20, 2014


  I remember hating mushrooms. I would pick them off my pizza and my sarnies and out of salads. Mushrooms reeked. They sucked. 
  And then, one day, out of the blue, I decided I would order a nice big bowl of mushroom soup. Now you must understand, at this point in time in my life, I hated soup as well. I hated anything you couldn't chew because drinking soup felt like I was being cheated of a meal.
  And when that Mushroom Soup came, with chopped bits of parsley and a spiral of olive oil, I knew this soup would change things.
  And I was right.
  I now adore mushrooms. Caramelised, grilled, boiled, steamed, baked, sautéed. Raw. I like portobello, shitake, enoki, button, crimini, oyster, porcini, chanterelle. 
  So, naturally, when I discovered my supermarket stocked Buna Shimeji mushrooms with their cute little clusters of brown heads, I had to buy it. Really. I had no other choice. 


So what better way to celebrate the introduction of Buna Shimeji to this self-proclaimed mushroom connoisseur? Well, in a noodle soup!  Or, more specifically, a zoodle soup. Because zoodles rock.


For two:

Ingredients
One zucchini // 2 cups water // 1.5 tbsp miso paste // 1 tbsp dried wakame // 1/2 a large carrot, sliced // A handful of enoki, Buna Shimeji and brown button mushrooms each, cleaned (roughly 1/2 a cup each) // 1/2 a block of extra firm tofu, cubed // salt // pea sprouts // chopped spring onions

Method:
Cut the zucchini into noodles using a julienne peeler, a spiraliser, by hand (I applaud your commitment), of this funky tool I use meant for coconut flesh
Place the carrots in the water in a saucepan and bring to a boil, then add the wakame and simmer. As you do this, place the miso in a small glass bowl, decant a few spoonfuls of hot water from the pan and mix until the miso is dissolved, then add this back into the saucepan. This prevents clumps from remaining. Once it has reach a boil again, throw in the mushrooms and tofu and let simmer for five minutes, then salt to taste.
To assemble place cold zucchini noodle in the base of a bowl, pour soup over and garnish with pea sprouts, spring onions and Korean chilli flakes.


You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. Sounds amazing! I haven't seen these mushrooms anywhere around where I live (which makes me sad. I love enoki) so during my next NYC trip ill have to pick some up and make this. But.. I thought you weren't supposed to boil miso. It kills the probiotics in it?

    ReplyDelete