Review: Sage by Heston Blumenthal - The Boss To Go

by - January 21, 2016


  I was recently asked to review the new personal blender by Sage by Heston Blumenthal - The Boss To Go. It is one of the latest products by Sage Appliances. Since I absolutely adored The Boss, another brilliant Sage appliance, I couldn't wait to test out the little to-go equivalent!

If you are interested in reading a little more about what I thought about The Boss Blender, along with a little more about the science behind blending and how to blend to maximise the nutrients from the fruit + veg (etc) that you chuck into it, hop on over here.

Now, before my blender even arrived, I did a little reading. The thing I love about sage appliances is how different they are to their counterparts. They go above and beyond. The little things that irk you about your microwave, or your toaster or juicer, sage thinks of too. They design their appliances trying to fix and address the little issues every other microwave slash toaster slash juicer has. In the case of The Boss To Go, they added several really cool and nifty features that take your average personal blender into super personal blender territory.



The first thing that stood out to me about the Boss To Go is that it has a 1000 Watt motor. My previous personal blender only came with a 200 Watt motor, and that could blend quite a lot of stuff (although it did get jammed quite a lot). The Boss To Go is said to be able to blend even the more fibrous ingredients (lookin' at you... kale!) into a fine, creamy dreamy consistency. It has a Kinetix blending actions which helps the particles reach the blades without you having to jiggle the blender about/stop, unscrew the lid and shove things around with your spoon, re-screw the lid, resume blending. As you can tell, that was a major downfall of my last personal blender so it was something I was interested in seeing how the To Go would handle.

And when I got to test it out, I was so impressed! It CRUSHED through the medjool dates for my truffles (recipe below!), I didn't even have to stop and stir like I usually do! It made such a smooth, creamy-texture truffle, better than some more advanced blenders I have used in the past. The dips I made with it were amazing, you barely have to chop ingredients. I just cut garlic into two big chunks and stuck it in, no 'finely diced' necessary. Saves. So. Much. Time. And saves you from potential fast-knife-motion related injuries (been there)

The Boss To Go's tumbler has a really snazzy, unique edge. When you use a personal blender, the cup you drink from is essentially the tumbler you blend in. Because you that, you end up having to dink from a rather uncomfortable edge with threads or clips from where the blade screwed in. I don't know how they have managed it in the Boss To Go, but it was the first thing I checked out when I got it. The lid or bland essentially just 'clicks' into place on the inner surface of the tumbler, so you don't feel any uncomfortable edge when you sip from in. However, if you aren't having your blended beverage immediately, it comes with a lovely click on lid which, even though I was initially quite skeptical, has yet to leak or spill when I pack it in my bag on the way to lectures.

Clean up? So easy. The thread-less edge means no food debris get stuck in between them. I just leave in to soak in some hot soapy water then do a quick scrub with a sponge and its good to go! It's also dishwasher safe, so cleanup could be even easier. If you own a dishwasher.

I did find it a bit noisier than other personal blenders I have used, but with a 1000 Watt motor, I really can't complain! It is still a lot quieter





Peanut Butter Cup Truffles
12 pitted large medjool dates, you can chop these if you want an quicker blend :)
1/2 cup roasted peanuts
1/4 tsp coffee powder (optional)
1 tbsp natural peanut butter
1 tbsp cacao/carob powder (i use cacao but if you avoid that, carob works well too!)
Pinch of pink himalayan sea salt
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp rice malt syrup (optional)

Put the peanuts, buckwheat/kasha, cacao powder and salt together in the blender and blitz until the peanuts are coarsely ground. Remove that and set aside, blend the dates, peanut butter and syrup into a paste. Add the dry ingredients and blend. Form little balls of mixture and roll in cacao powder, crushed peanuts, shredded coconuts, whatever you like!




Burfi Chia Pudding
1/2 cup coconut milk, I use full fat but low fat would work too, it will just be less creamy!
1/2 cup coconut water
1 tbsp tahini
1/4 cup chia seeds
1 tsp maca powder, optional
2 tbsp ground jaggery, or any other sweetener equivalent. Coconut sugar or dates/date syrup will work best as a substitute as they have a similar caramel flavour
2 tbsp ground coconut, more for topping if desired
4 cardamom pods, crushed
Pinch of pink himalayan sea salt
Fresh mango cubes, or some passionfruit!

Blend the coconut milk, water, tahini, jaggery, coconut flakes, cardamom pods and salt together in the tumbler, unscrew and pour in the chia seeds, you can either stir it about with your spoon or re-blitz it veryyyyy briefly to disperse them chia seeds. Let that sit in the fridge for about 15 minutes, or until the chia seeds absorb all that coconut goodness and become thick and jelly-like. Top wtih mango cubes and eat it chilled!



Fava Bean, Pistachio and Yogurt Dip
1 can Fava Beans, drained
1/4 cup shelled pistachios
1/4 cup natural soy yogurt (or tofu)
juice of 1/2 a small lemon
1/2 tsp cumin
2 small garlic cloves, roughly chopped
Pinch Pink Himalayan Sea Salt (I used a lovely pot I got from Creative Nature)

Put all the ingredients and blend to your desired texture, I like mine quite smooth, which the To Go does very well and rather quickly!

You May Also Like

0 comments