Elderflower and gooseberry porridge

by - June 28, 2014

  I have a new best friend, and her name is Gooseberry.

  As a lover of all things tart, I can pop these babies like candy. For anyone who has never tried a gooseberry before, think sour grape crossed with a mild raspberry-ish flavour.

  Trying new fruit always makes me happy. It's a thing. I remember trying jackfruit two months ago for the first time. Ohlala.

  Now, for those of you that aren't too fond of raw gooseberries, or are simply desperate for a new way to eat this delicious little gem, listen up: try them in porridge.

  Now, I know what you are thinking. Bleah. Porridge, slush, mush, bland, icky, yuck. But you see! The crisp gooseberry texture pairs so wonderfully with the creamy porridge. It gives it a bite. You will love this porridge. I promise you.

Because I am into crazy flavour pairings, I decided there was no better marriage of flavours for this experiment than elderflower and gooseberry. Why elderflower, you ask? Because they both have names that roll of your tongue ever so elegantly. So lyrical. So clearly, they were made for each other.

Serves one.

Elderflower and Gooseberry Porridge
1/2 cup porridge oats (can be gluten free)
1 cup distilled water
1/2 cup almond milk
1 tbsp flaxseed
Elderflower cordial, to taste (see below) I use about a tablespoon
10 gooseberries

Take 5 gooseberries and puree them, in a blender for example.
Over medium heat, stir oats, water, milk, the puree and flax until thickened. You may also do this in a microwave, for about 4 minutes on high, checking constantly.
Slice up remaining gooseberries and garnish. Pour elderflower syrup over the oats, and you may also add additional nut milk if you like your porridge a little more runny.

Elderflower Syrup
20 Elderflower Heads
3 tbsp lime juice, freshly squeezed
1 lime
1/2 a litre of distilled water
500g coconut sugar (alternatively, if you already have a simply syrup mixture, you may use it in place of the last two ingredients)

Over low heat, bring the sugar and water to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add the elderflower heads, lime juice, and slices of a fresh lime. Leave it covered, in the fridge for 48 hours to let the elderflower flavour to infuse into the syrup mixture.
After two days, strain the mixture to remove the flowers, lime and any of its seeds from the syrup. Place the syrup into a jar and store in the fridge.


You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. It's been years and years since I last had a gooseberry. I love them, I love the papery skins on the outside and the sweet-but-tart translucent flesh inside. What a great idea to combine them with elderflower...! I never would've thought of that! It's very difficult to get fresh elderflower over here in Western Australia. Do you reckon that using elderflower cordial would be ok to any extent or would it ruin the dish altogether? Gorgeous creation in either case xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, elderflower cordial will be a perfect substitute! I have used it before when I am not too fussed to make my own. 1-for-1 will be great.

      Delete