Breakfast Bulgur

by - May 11, 2014

  I remember the first time I bought Bulgur Wheat, I had mistaken it for cous cous. It wasn't that I didn't know what cous cous looked like, trust me: I grew up eating the teensy grain. It just had such a similar colour and they were both smack next to each other on the display shelf.
  So you can imagine my surprise when I noticed how the grains were not round a la cous cous, but more like broken bits of a yellow rice. I googled bulgur recipes and have since tried many a tabbouleh salad. But I have always toyed with the idea of a sweet way to cook this grain. And with the current fad of the overnight oatmeal, now it as good a time as any.  

Breakfast Bulgur
1/4 cup dry bulgur
1 tbsp sabja (basil) seeds (you can sub Chia for this)
1 tbsp flaxseed meal
2 tbsp dried cranberries, or raisins
3/4 cup water
Agave, to taste (optional as the raisins mildly sweeten the mixture and the coconut milk as well)
1/4 cup coconut milk, or any other non-dairy milk (I used organic soy)

In a mason jar, or a recycled glass jam jar, place the first 5 ingredients. Leave it in the fridge overnight to absorb the water. I do this step with water and sabja seeds gel up the best in water due to the high water potential, but if you want to sub this for milk, go ahead! Stir up the mix in the morning, as the bulgur may have settled snugly into the jar. Pour out into a bowl and add in the extra coconut milk and agave. Serve with fruit! Or you could decant it into a saucepan with the milk and sweetener and have yourself a warm breakfast bulgur bowl!

I recommend raspberries. But only because they are my favourite. 




   Let me know how this goes, I adore hearing feedback! Even if it is just a hashtag on instagram: #thesashadiaries



You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. This looks gorgeous! I am always on the look out for new ways to make breakfast porridge... I've never attempted it with bulgur for some reason. I'm definitely trying this tomorrow morning (as I happen to have bulgur in the cupboard... no raspberries though. Sad face. I'll have to sub frozen blackberries). You have a gorgeous blog! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No frozen raspberries! *gasp* but blackberries are cool. Blackberries are equally fab. And likewise, I love your photography :)

      Delete